“Yes”, said Taiya, softly. The younger woman’s smile widens and she takes a small bite of fig bread slathered in thick sweet butter. Her friend loves her sweet butter. Almost as much as she loves her black tea. “You’re right, my lady. You did.”
Due to the high price of figs, which are imported to the Kingdom of Vahalia from the Islands of Exos during the summer months, fig bread is mostly enjoyed by the nobility and those who can afford the exotic fruits.
The first fig bread recipe was created by Mistress Natasha, the youngest daughter of the Royal Baker, in the year 4492 AS. Her father had run out of dried cherries to mix into the dough and, fearing that her father would be fired from his coveted position as the baker of the High House, Mistress Natasha took some figs, chopped them up into little pieces and mixed them into the dough. The High Lord loved the new bread and declared that it should be made with every meal.
Fig Bread Recipe
- 4 Cups of Flour
- 1 Stick of Butter (Softened)
- 3 Eggs & 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Tsp of Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp of Baking Powder
- 2 Tsp of Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp of Salt
- 1/4 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups of Chopped Dried Figs
- 1/2 Cup of Chopped Dried Dates
- 1/2 Cup of Golden Raisins
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- (To be done the night before) In a medium sized bowl, place the dried figs, dried dates, and golden raisins before adding the 1/2 cup of water. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit overnight. Note: It does not need to be refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, egg yolk, brown sugar, and softened butter. Mix well until the brown sugar is fully incorporated into the butter and there are no traces of egg yolk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until everything is fully incorporated and the texture is smooth.
- Add the soaked figs, dates, and raisins, along with the water, into the batter. Fold the dried fruits into the batter until everything is evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into a buttered loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Enjoy with sweet butter.
When she takes a large bite of the fig bread and butter, Asger smiles again and nods, seemingly pleased with himself for having gotten her to eat something from the impromptu feast before turning away to speak with his mother, who sits on his left.
The redhead drops the buttered fig bread on her plate.
Cleo smirks. “You better finish that before Asger looks over and makes you eat it in front of him.”